FIRE DEPARTMENT HISTORY
1960 - 1969
On July 19, 1962, an election was held, and the creation of the Fire Protection District was passed almost unanimously. The first officers were Harold Cooper, President; Ray Bernard, Secretary; and Roy Kohl, Treasurer.
Also in 1962, Robert Rust was elected Fire Chief.
On December 6, 1963 a fire at Ordmans Park and Shop occurred with an estimated fire loss of $185,000. This was the same site of the Shopping Bag fire in 1953.
Ordman's Park and Shop Fire
The Department took delivery of a new engine in February of 1964. It was a 1964 John Bean Ford Cab-Over that carried 750 gallons of water and had a 750 gallon per minute fire pump along with a 30 gpm John Bean High Pressure pump. This unit was sold in 1983 to Alexander Fire Department in Illinios.
1964 Ford John Bean engine in front of new fire station on Front Street. Lt. to Rt: Ken Bockman, Fred Clark, Chief Robert Rust
In 1967 the District took delivery of a new carry-all with the designation of #7. This Unit was a Ford Econoline Van.
1967 Ford Econoline Carry-All
The District took delivery of a new engine #8 in 1968 . It was a 1968 John Bean Ford Cab-Over that carried 1000 gallons of water and had a 1000 gallon per minute fire pump along with a 30 gpm John Bean High Pressure pump. This engine was sold in 1983 to Somonauk Fire Department in Illinios.
1968 Ford John Bean Engine.
Standing on pumper is Fire Chief Robert Rust